The Football Federation of Iran is demanding that FIFA only allow “officially recognized national flags,” which would effectively ban fans from bringing Pride flags to the upcoming 2026 World Cup matches.
The demand, among a list of conditions posted to the federation’s official website, must be met for Iran’s national team to play their scheduled matches, according to federation head Mehdi Taj. This conflicts with messaging from FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who has tried to allay concerns about the nation being a no-show.
“Confirming straight away for those who maybe want to say something else or write something else, that of course Iran will be participating in the FIFA World Cup,” said Infantino, two weeks before Iran publicized its demands. “And the reason for that is very simple, dear friends, is because we have to unite.”
FIFA has publicly gone mute about Iran’s demands, which include securing visas for players who’ve previously served in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps. In addition to complications arising from the ongoing war with Iran, the US and Canada have both deemed the IRGC a terrorist group.
Iran and Egypt both publicly bristled when they were announced as the teams playing in the “Pride Match” on June 26. That’s the game’s unofficial moniker, declared by Seattle’s organizing committee before the teams were selected, which will also highlight original art by local Queer artists.
Taj has called the Pride Match “an irrational move that supports a certain group,” and said his nation would ask FIFA to appeal the moniker. In Iran, same-sex activity remains criminalized under sharia law and can be punishable by death.
As it sits down with Iran for negotiations in the coming days, it’s worth noting that FIFA has relented on LGBTQIA+ expression in the past. The 2022 World Cup in Qatar stirred controversy around the safety of Queer fans in a hostile nation, and during the games, fans repeatedly reported instances of security confiscating rainbow accessories and objects.
However, in that case, the decision was made to accommodate the host country. Curbing the ability of US fans to express their identity in their own country, so as to accommodate a less tolerant visiting team, would take things to a new extreme.
Regardless of the decisions that Iran and FIFA come to, Seattle’s organizers have said that the Pride Match will continue moving forward, regardless of who plays.
The Seattle games begin with a match between Belgium and Egypt on June 15 at noon at Lumen Field. There will be watch parties at Seattle Center, Pacific Place, and, as recently revealed, a floating barge out by Pier 62.
Support the Seattle Gay News: Celebrate 52 Years with Us!
As the third-oldest LGBTQIA+ newspaper in the United States, the Seattle Gay News (SGN) has been a vital independent source of news and entertainment for Seattle and the Pacific Northwest since 1974.
As we celebrate our 52nd year, we need your support to continue our mission.
A monthly contribution will ensure that SGN remains a beacon of truth and a virtual gathering place for community dialogue.
Help us keep printing and providing a platform for LGBTQIA+ voices.
How you can donate!
Using this link: givebutter.com/6lZnDB
Text “SGN” to 53-555
Or Scan the QR code below!

